A 98-year-old WW2 hero who had his five war medals stolen last weekend, has gone viral on Facebook, with an appeal posted by his nephew being shared 90,000 times. As a result, a medal collector has even donated ‘replacement’ medals to the veteran.
Pensioner John Seal had his treasured Second World War medals stolen during a break-in at his home in Chichester. The five medals were an African star, Italy Star, two end of World War Two medals and a Battle of Britain medal.
Mr Seal’s nephew, who is also called Jon Seal, said on his Facebook post: “Please can you help share this mail so my 98-year-old uncle can get his WW2 medals back?
“Thieves broke into his house in Chichester last night whilst he slept and stole five precious medals which record his service with the Desert Rats from El Alamein to Italy up until war’s end. He is deeply upset at this loss and if we can share this information around the south of England it may make it harder for the thieves to sell them on. Thanks!”
The initial burglary, which took place in Whyke Road in Chichester between 8.30pm on Sunday 17 June and 8.30am Monday 18 June was reported after care worker Sharon Gregory turned up for her regular Sunday morning care visit and saw a key was still in John’s door. Concerned for the war veteran, she hurriedly entered the building and noticed the key safe had been ripped off the wall.
Ms Gregory, from Home Instead (Chichester & Bognor Regis), said: “As soon as I turned up in the morning, I knew something wasn’t right. The most important thing in all of this is that John wasn’t harmed, but it is a tragedy that someone would target him in this manner.
“I have come to know John and his family very well over the past two years, and he is one of the loveliest people I know and care for. I always enjoy my care visits with him, and we have all been overwhelmed with the national support since the story went viral. We would love for John to get his medals back.”
Another one of Mr Seal's regular caregivers, Dave Pearce, also from Home Instead, stayed with John for two days on a voluntary basis after the break-in, just so he could reassure the shaken pensioner.
Mr Pearce said, “It is really scary to be burgled and I didn’t want John to be alone after what had just occurred. I treat my clients as if they were my own parents, and I just hope I was able to put John and his family at ease, knowing that someone was there with him after dark. John has lived such a remarkable life, and I want to make sure he is well looked after and cared for.”
Simon McGee, owner of Home Instead Chichester said, “I am so proud of our CAREGivers and how they handled themselves in this unfortunate situation. We hire staff based on their desire to care, and we are extremely lucky to have such passionate and selfless people on our team.”
PC Paul Rogers, from Sussex Police, said: “This was a cowardly theft from an elderly victim where the items were stolen while the victim, a 98-year-old man, slept. We are appealing for the public to keep an eye on any online buy and sell pages for any of these medals. If you see any of them for sale please get in contact with us immediately.
“Also, we would like to speak to anyone who witnessed any suspicious behaviour in the area around this time.”
To report information please report online or call 101 quoting reference 238 of 18/06.
click here for more details or to contact Home Instead (Chichester & Bognor Regis)