Tributes have been paid to the youngest pilot to fly a Spitfire in the Battle of Britain following his death aged 96.
Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum - one of ‘The Few’ - was approaching his 97th birthday before his death on 18 July.
His passing follows shortly after that of Wing Commander Tom Neil DFC, AFC, who passed away last Wednesday.
Patrick Tootal, secretary of the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust, said members of the charity's staff and volunteers had been "much saddened by the news", adding: "Only this week Sqn Ldr Wellum had been talking enthusiastically about attending the Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey on 16 September.”
Mr Wellum was just short of his 18th birthday when he signed up to become a Spitfire pilot based at Biggin Hill in Kent in 1939.
He went to No 92 Squadron at Northolt in May 1940 and in February 1942 was posted to No 65 Squadron at Debden as a Flight Commander. He was posted to Malta in late July and embarked on the carrier HMS Furious, later leading eight Spitfires off to Luqa.
Mr Wellum later became a test pilot at Gloster Aircraft, testing Typhoons, and ended the war as a gunnery instructor. He retired from the RAF in 1961 as a Flight Lieutenant, retaining the rank of Squadron Leader.
Describing his time during the war, he previously stated: "Somebody said: 'Here's a Spitfire - fly it, and if you break it there will be bloody hell to pay'.
He flew between 50 to 60 flights while he served at the RAF and said his most terrifying moment was when he participated in a dogfight.
Speaking about his fear during the war, he said in 2010: "If you were in one-on-one combat and you could see the man behind you trying to shoot you down, you knew the meaning of the word fear.
"In fact I found myself on one occasion fairly calmly saying to myself, 'I'm going to die'."
In later life Mr Wellum went on to write a best-selling novel about his war experiences, titled '2002 memoir First Light'. It was later made into a film by the BBC to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle.
According to Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton GCB, President, Battle of Britain Memorial Trust, Mr Wellum was "a fine, decent and caring man whom it was a genuine pleasure and education to know."
Upon hearing the news, a spokesperson for Kent Battle of Britain Museum added: “Sadly, we have lost yet another of our heroes. The world has lost a true gentleman and the Few’ get fewer. Blue skies sir.”