Healthcare charities have paid tribute to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who died last Friday at Windsor Castle aged 99 and say “his dedicated patronage for so many years has been a precious asset.”
The news of the Duke of Edinburgh’s death was announced by Buckingham Palace with Her Majesty The Queen expressing her “deep sorrow” of his passing.
Prince Philip was involved in over 780 charitable organisations as a patron, president or member, including the British Heart Foundation, Muscular Dystrophy UK, the Royal National Institute for Deaf people (RNID) and Plan International.
Prince Philip had been a supporter of the British Heart Foundation since the early 1960s and played a role in organising high profile fundraising events in support of life-saving research.
Dr Charmaine Griffiths, chief executive of the British Heart Foundation said: “We’re deeply saddened by the death of our patron, Prince Philip HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, and offer our condolences to Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family.
“Prince Philip offered steadfast support to the BHF for nearly 60 years and was a remarkable advocate for the power of research to save and improve lives from heart and circulatory diseases.
“Prince Philip’s role as our patron was one aspect of a life characterised by support for good causes and devotion to public service. His contribution will forever be remembered."
'Prince Philip has helped raise awareness and understanding of this vitally important cause'
Prince Philip was also a royal patron of Muscular Dystrophy UK (MDUK). He became royal patron in 1966, following a request from the late Lord Richard Attenborough, the charity’s then president.
His support has enabled MDUK to play a vital role in leading the fight to beat muscle-wasting conditions, through funding research and campaigning for change.
Although Prince Philip stepped down from active duties in May 2017, he continued to serve as patron of Muscular Dystrophy UK. In 2016, Prince Philip hosted a special event at St James’s Palace to celebrate 50 years of support for MDUK.
Catherine Woodhead, chief executive of Muscular Dystrophy UK, said: “We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of His Royal Highness, Prince Philip. His dedicated patronage for so many years has been a precious asset in the fight against muscle-wasting conditions. Prince Philip had the kindness and foresight to lend his backing to a charity focused on what were then little known, poorly understood conditions.
“Through the decades, Prince Philip has helped to raise awareness and promote understanding of this vitally important cause. He was also aware of the barriers that needed to be overcome to enable them to live well with muscular dystrophy. These moments and memories of his wholehearted support will be cherished for many years to come.
“Muscular Dystrophy UK will remain forever grateful to our patron, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.”
'Prince Philip recognised deaf people through his interest in our work'
In 1958, Prince Philip became the patron of the Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID).
His interest in hearing loss stemmed from his mother, HRH Princess Alice of Battenberg, who was born deaf but was so adept at lipreading, most people did not know she had difficulty in hearing.
The Prince first got to know the charity’s work in 1956 when he opened a hostel for young deaf men in Wembley, London and in 1998, he generously agreed to take a hearing test to launch a campaign encouraging more people to get their hearing tested. ?
The Royal National Institute for Deaf (RNID) has called Prince Philip a “committed patron” who was a "great champion of our cause."
Chief executive Mark Atkinson said: “I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who for more than half a century, served as our royal patron. His Royal Highness was a great champion of our cause and will be immensely missed by all.
“Prince Philip recognised deaf people and those with hearing loss through his long interest in our work, which was highlighted in 2011 when he kindly hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace to mark our centenary.
“It was a great honour for our charity to celebrate our achievements on the Prince’s 90th birthday and he made it a truly memorable day by graciously speaking with our Founder’s Representative, staff, supporters and volunteers; about their inspirational work for deaf people and those with hearing loss. Our thoughts are with Her Majesty The Queen and with the Royal family at this sad time.”
Prince Philip was a royal patron of the charity Plan International, the global children’s charity supporting girls and boys growing up in impoverished countries. The organisation works to provide these children with education, health care, clean water and future opportunities.
Rose Caldwell, chief executive of Plan International UK said: “We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh, who has been a long-standing royal patron of Plan International UK.
“Over the years, His Royal Highness has been incredibly supportive of the work we do with young people both here in the UK and across the world. As a global children’s charity striving to give every child the same chance in life, his support has been hugely appreciated.”