Charities warn scrapping self-isolation and free tests will 'force' elderly and vulnerable back into isolation

Last Updated: 24 Feb 2022 @ 13:50 PM
Article By: Jill Rennie

Independent Age and the MS Society are concerned ending self-isolation rules could “increase anxiety” and "force" older and vulnerable people "back into isolation" with no government support.

Prime minister Boris Johnson announced earlier this week that it will no longer be a legal requirement to self-isolate after testing positive for COVID from 24 February.

The rules have been replaced by guidance asking people who test positive to stay at home for at least five days. Close contacts for those infected are no longer advised to take a lateral flow test for seven days.

“Concerned” with the government’s “sudden change in direction,” Independent Age is urging the government to “clarify” how it plans to protect older people “from the virus.”

Morgan Vine, head of policy and influencing at Independent Age, said: “We know many people aged 65 and over are worried about the upcoming relaxation of Covid restrictions, particularly the ending of self-isolation.

“We are concerned this sudden change in direction of public safety is likely to increase anxiety among older people, and even cause some to shield themselves and limit daily activities.

“Our research revealed the challenges faced by those in later life due to the pandemic have worsened many people’s mental health with many people we spoke to expressing fear at catching the virus in public settings."

'Let us learn to live with this virus'

The PM said the UK had “passed the peak” of the Omicron wave, with cases falling, hospitalisations in England falling and now fewer than 10,000 and the link between infection and severe disease substantially weakened.

In his statement to the House of Commons, Mr Johnson told MPs: “We have a population that is protected by the biggest vaccination programme in our history.

“We have the antivirals, the treatments, and the scientific understanding of this virus, and we have the capabilities to respond rapidly to any resurgence or new variant. “We don’t need laws to compel people to be considerate of others.

“So let us learn to live with this virus and continue protecting ourselves without restricting our freedoms.”

'Taking this away isn't only reckless but dangerous'

Mr Johnson also announced free universal testing will end on April 1, but added the government would provide kits for the oldest and most vulnerable people.

The MS Society is calling on the government to urgently clarify which vulnerable groups will continue to get free tests if they have symptoms and how they can access them.

Phillip Anderson, head of policy, said: “The Prime Minister’s plan for living with COVID-19 fails to give a credible explanation of how over 500,000 immunocompromised people, including some with MS, can live safely alongside the virus.

“The announcement of a further booster is welcome. But this will be little comfort to people who're less protected – or not protected at all – by further vaccine doses.

“Throughout the pandemic, universal free testing has been a crucial tool. It's helped many vulnerable people to continue living normal lives by reassuring them that people they're meeting don't have COVID.

"Taking this away isn't only reckless but dangerous. And instead of ‘restoring freedom’, it may force vulnerable people back into isolation with no support from the government whatsoever.”

Mr Vine added: “If the requirement to isolate is removed at the same time free lateral flow tests for most age groups stop, this fear is likely to increase as is the likelihood of coming into contact with someone who has Covid.

“It’s essential older people are able to live their daily lives safely.”